How The Internet Changed Social Security

If you receive or will receive Social Security benefits, and you have access to the Internet, It is a good idea to open a “My Social Security” account. My Social Security is an online service provided by the Social Security Administration (SSA). With a My Social Security account you can keep track of and manage your SSA benefits as well as make changes to your Social Security record. Things like earnings history and current or future benefits can easily be managed and reviewed with a My Social Security account.

You can check the status of your application online at the SSA website. It takes a minute or so to locate a particular file, but this is the most convenient and fastest way to find out the status of your application. You’ll need to create a “my Social Security” account online, which should take only a short time.

Instructions on Opening a My Social Security Account

Before you get started you will need a valid email address and your Social Security number to create an account.

  • Go to and click on “Sign In or Create an Account.”
  • Go to “Create an Account” and fill in the requested information.
  • Create a username and password. This is your My Social Security account login.

  • My Social Security Account Features

    A My Social Security account online is useful even before you begin the process of collecting benefits. Things like annual earnings history estimated future benefits can be viewed, giving you a better perspective on how your SSI will play out (once you begin collecting). You can even use the account to track the status of an application that was recently submitted.

    There are many more things you can do with a My Social Security Account…

  • Set up direct deposit of your benefit payment.
  • Change your address or phone number.
  • Request a benefit verification letter, which you can use as proof of income when applying for a loan or mortgage, or for government assistance such as Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits or housing vouchers.
  • Request a replacement Medicare or Social Security card.
  • Request a replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, the forms Social Security mails to you each January for tax purposes that summarize your benefits for the previous year.
  • Check the status of a pending claim or appeal of disability benefits.

  • a My Social Security account is incredibly useful and shows us just how much of an impact the internet has had on our infrastructure. However, you cannot set up a My Social Security account if you have a security freeze or fraud alert on your credit report. If this happens, you may need to consult with an attorney who specializes in social security cases.

    About the author:
    Mark J. Palmiere, Esq. Mark J. Palmiere SSI Disability Lawyer Rochester NY
    Social Security Disability Attorney
    Mark J. Palmiere focuses his law practice on Social Security Disability law. He is a graduate of Syracuse University College of law and has been admitted to practice in New York State and the United States District Court for the Western District of New York since 1993.  To Learn more about how Mark can help you with a Social Security Disability claim please visit his website